The James Pappoutsakis Memorial Flute Competition
Competitors in the preliminary round are heard annually in a screened audition (in camera), in November. The Final Round takes place in January/February at one of the participating schools. The First Prize Winner receives a significant cash award in addition to a number of gifts from local and national music and flute-related organizations. In early September, the First Prize Winner will also be awarded the opportunity to perform a full recital in New England Conservatory's Jordan Hall for the Fenwick Smith Tribute Concert. Since 2006 the second prize has been named to honor our founding president William H. Grass (1926-2006). The winner of the William H. Grass Memorial Prize also receives a cash award.
A volunteer Board of Directors administers the Fund and all donations are used for prizes and operating costs. We are grateful to our industry and private donors who have supported us through three decades and to the participating music institutions who donate their facilities for the auditions.
2018-2019 Competition Repertoire
- Capriccio in Bb major by J. J. Quantz
- Publisher: Schott
- Three preludes for unaccompanied flute, op. 18 by R. Muczynski
- Publisher: G. Schirmer
- Concerto in A Minor, Allegro (3rd movement) by Michel Blavet
- Publisher: Broekmans & Van Poppel
- Three Pieces for flute solo (1st and 3rd movements) by M. Gandolfi
- Publisher: M51 Music
- Chant de Linos by A. Jolivet
- Publisher: Alphonse Leduc